Thursday, September 24, 2009

Up and running!

Congratualtions! You are all listed as "authors" on this blog, so you have free license to add new posts or comment on posts that others put up. This first blog assignment is a test drive. Before next class, I would like everyone to ask me a question. It may be a personal question about me, or it may be a question about this class. I will answer you before we meet again and make sure that everyone is on the blog. Just click on "comment."

34 comments:

  1. How many pages of Cry, The Beloved Country should we have read by class on Wednesday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really know what to type for the thesis statemet. What can it be about? I am quite lost on this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kylie -- There is no thing due on Cry, the Beloved Country specifically. The following week, though, you have to have it finished with the paper written. You should be almost finished with the novel, then, so you have time to read and write. Good question!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janis -- I didn't give you any guidance on the thesis assignment. Don't worry about it. I posted an announcement on b-board that you didn't have to do it, so no worries. We will work on it in class on Wednesday. -- Sister B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi this is Maye.
    If you read Kite Runner before the movie came out, did the film meet your expectations?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maye--

    I would say that the movie emphasized things differently than I had imagined. It skipped over some important parts. But overall, it stayed true to the meaning, and it even brought out some of the metaphors through film absolutely beautifully. Have you read it and seen the movie? I'd love to hear your opinion, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What made you want to be an English teacher? Or did you always want to be an English teacher?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having a trouble with a myth for this week's assignment, do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wanted to be an English teacher all my life until I got to my junior year of college. I took an education class, and I couldn't stand it. So then I switched out of "teaching," went to grad school in speech-language pathology at Indiana University, moved to Hawaii, and now I'm back teaching English. It's really like getting the best of both worlds. I got to branch out and leave the path I was always planning on for something fascinating, but now I am back with the subject I love and teaching writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sterling--

    Choose a religious story. They work really well. Or write the life story of someone who is a hero to you -- a story you've been told or that you tell others to inspire them. Those are two possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was curious how many years you have been a teacher. I also know you already told us this in class, but I was wondering how many kids you have? :-)

    -Connie

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Connie--

    I have been teaching at BYUH for three years. I have four children. Jane is 9. She is the one that swam with the dolphins. Sam is 5 and just started Kindergarten. His main goal in life is to be Super Citizen at Laie Elementary. Colin is 3 and secretly thinks he will grow up to be Luke Skywalker. And Charlie is almost 18 months and has declared his complete independence. I have never met anyone that knows so specifically what they do and do not want to do at any given moment. My husband Dan is a classical composer and teaches in the music department here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,
    I tried to open Disliking Books at an Early Age for many times, but I couldn't open, it was just blank.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi. That was strange. I reloaded it as a pdf. It think it's working. Let me know if you still have a problem with it. Thanks! I'm sure others would have run into the problem as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you hit your kids when they are naughty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you go abroad before? If yes, how many countries you been before? Which country you really want to visit now?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Allen--

    I am most tempted to harshly discipline my kids when they are diving over each other or full-on fighting during sacrament meeting, but I am able to refrain! And that's the hardest time of the week. Nice question.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love to go to China or Hong Kong! I have lived in Austria and Germany when I was very young. I have traveled to London, Hungary, Italy, and France. And I lived for four months in Jerusalem. I would also love to go to New Zealand. Anyone have travel connections to hook me up?

    ReplyDelete
  20. hey.
    uhm so whats your favorite color?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Blue. Glad you're on the blog! I've been telling your story about the pig. Very funny.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am really enjoing the novel "cry, the Beloved Countruy". I love books based in true histories...Gowever, I was pondering which book is your favorite. Do you have one you like the most?

    ReplyDelete
  23. my name is manny and i like to party. do you like to party?

    ReplyDelete
  24. How did book club go last night? Did many people show up and do we have a list of books for the new year?

    Really enjoyed class tonight:) Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm curious about all the places you have traveled to and lived...which were most fascinating and why?

    ReplyDelete
  26. My daughter is Jane, too. She is 27 month old now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. didn't know that I had to ask something....
    I just read the post that you uploaded.
    Sorry..

    Anyways, how often do you exercise? I sometimes see you, and almost everytime you were running. ;)
    Did I put comment too late? Will you deduct the point? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Manny--

    I didn't know math majors partied. You're blowing the stereotype!


    Diana--

    We did some short stories, which I love! There is a list of books, and I haven't read any of them.


    Woolmit--

    You have a Jane, too? How did you choose the name? My Jane is named after some of my favorite Janes from books I've read. One of them is in Their Eyes Were Watching God. Another is from Jane Eyre, and another is in Pride and Prejudice.

    I do love to run! I'm training for a triathlon in December. Swimming is going to be the death of me. I prefer sports where you don't have to turn your head to breathe and you can inhale whenever you want.

    You are not too late to get points this time. We had to work out some kinks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Emily,

    Have you ever written a book? If so, what type of book and what was it about?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. OH!!!!!!!!!
    I can finally leave a comment here! =D
    I just have a question.
    I actually want to be a teacher, but I look really young and small...how can I gain the respect from the children?
    Do you have any ideas as you being a teacher for a while?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey, Sister Emily
    We have to finish "Cry, The Beloved Country" before class?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Emily
    We picked the nave Jane because it has the same pronounce with her Korean name.

    Jane Eyre is the first book that made me cry. I read the book when i was in middle school, and really loved it. I really liked the movie Pride and Prejudice( I haven't read the book yet.)

    Triathlon!! Awsome~!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.